Last weekend, we had the pleasure of driving out to East Texas to visit Nathan's grandparents. They are such an incredible couple, and such a testament to everything Nathan and I strive for in our marriage. Nathan's grandfather is a spry 94 years old and his grandmother is in her upper 80's, they've recently celebrated their 68th wedding anniversary. They are active and faithful people. It's hard not to laugh as they talk about their friends who are "elderly"- clearly, they don't include themselves in that category.
After lunch, I overheard this priceless exchange:
Nathan's grandfather (Howard), was sitting on the couch with his arms folded. His grandmother (Betty Lou) noticed and asked:
Betty Lou: "Howard, are you cold?"
Howard: "No,"
Betty Lou: "Well, I noticed you sitting there with your arms folded and thought you might be cold."
Howard: "No, I'm not cold, I just like to pretend I'm hugging you all the time."
Is that fantastic or what?! Later during our visit, Betty Lou explained that after lunch, when she lays down for her nap, Howard takes the phone off the hook and covers the light with a pillow. I smiled a little, realizing the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. I truly pray that I can have a similar conversation with my adult granddaughter one day- and that it will ring true for her as well.
The kids had a wonderful time at their house, playing with toys and dominoes. There is something incredibly peaceful and pleasant about being there. The day was such a gift.
ps. Isn't it funny that the kids and great-grandparents were all color-coordinated in this photo? Total accident.

No comments:
Post a Comment