December 11, 2009

Creativity...

Creativity is something daddy doesn't have much of... so when I witness it, I'm always amazed by it, even in the smallest instance. Heather is always thinking of creative things to stimulate the kids, and this is yet another example that impresses me, so I thought I'd give her some much deserved props.

It's been a pretty cold/wet fall so far, and there haven't been too many opportunities to play outside the last few weeks, so Heather's skills have been put to the test. Yet she manages to keep them stimulated, regardless of what's going on. And every time she tells me what they did, my thought is always "Wow, that's a great idea, and I would have NEVER thought to try that." So the other day she decided to take Trevor fishing...

In order to go fishing, there are a few items you need:
  • Magnets from a magnetic whiteboard/bulletin board that we never use
  • Half of a swiffer "stick" (to this day, we have no clue where the bottom half is - or rather, where Trevor hid it)
  • some narrow ribbon
  • construction paper
That's not what you use to go fishing? Well let me elaborate... You take the magnetic "labels" from the whiteboard and tape little fish-shaped construction paper cutouts to each of them. You then take the magnetic hook from the same whiteboard and tie it to the ribbon. The other end of the ribbon is tied to the swiffer pole. Then all you need is a 2 year old who loves to watch Little Bear go fishing, and voila...

3 comments:

Mary said...

She IS creative! I get compliments on my blog backgrounds constantly and always give her credit! She should start a business, seriously. However, then she might not have time to make Trevor's dreams of joining Little Bear come true!

She rocks. I'll go to dinner with her again any time! We actually need to have y'all's whole family over to play!

We Three Smiths + 1 said...

She ALWAYS has been creative...I met her roughly 16 years ago and she was that creative then! Never in a million years would I have thought to make that fishing game...but then my 2 year old prooooobably would have fished for about 3 minutes and then said "All Done!" after all the work to set it up, LOL!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Joy...16 years?! We are old! Thanks for the sweet compliments, ya'll definitely know how to make a girl's day!