July 27, 2009

What's that saying?...something about a tough job...

Mommy-hood has been really gross lately. Filled with regurgitated fluids and rancid leaky diapers, with a mommy who hardly showers and spends far too much of her time sanitizing and RE-sanitizing the bath-tub (and every toy in it) after "Dynamite" decides to relieve himself while mommy dresses his sister. Seriously.

Our sweet little Tatum seems to have lost her patience and absolutely refuses to wait one more second for mommy to (fill-in-the-blank) while leaving Tatum to herself. She now screams, with arched back, and kicking legs (something akin to an angry raptor) every time I leave the room. This might be due to the fact that Trevor has recently discovered Tatum is now much more than an animated stuffed animal... she's a living, breathing, play-thing...and today she took the form of a trampoline. yes. really.

A lot of times, to anyone watching, we are the absolute worst advertisement for having children that I can imagine. I see the turned up noses of the sales-people as I parade past them with my straggling toddler and soiled, oozing baby girl. I watch the perplexed passersby as I wrangle my stroller and screaming children in and out of the car (in the rain). My glances are met with many faces. Some disgusted, some perplexed, some are laughing, but too often, it's pity.

And that's the one that bothers me most. When did I become a person to be pitied? Mommy-hood is not a glamorous thing, that's no secret. And having two babies sometimes means it takes every fiber of my being to do it- at least to do it well. But really, there is absolutely nothing better! Maybe I don't smile enough at strangers, maybe I don't always greet others with a cheerful tone in my voice. Now that I'm thinking about it, if I did...you had better start a google-search for "loony-bin" because I'm on my way there.

I may not always be smiling folks, but I've got a day filled with more simple joys than I could have ever imagined.

Things like this:
  • Today, Trevor discovered he could hold Tatum's bottle while she drank it. Problem was, they were BOTH laughing so hard at each other, she couldn't drink any.
  • When driving, every time a light turns green and I take off, Trevor says "Ready.... Set... Go!"
  • I've been meeting a few friends in the morning to power-walk at the mall before it opens. As we're walking, Trevor cheers "Go! Go! Mommy!... Go! Go! Mommy!"
  • I can see Tatum's cheeky smile when I'm looking at the back of her head.
  • Trevor's voice cracks with excitement every time he sees Thomas the Train come on TV.
  • Tatum calms and stares in my eyes when I sing to her- and I absolutely can. not. sing.
  • Trevor laughs at nothing to the point he loses his breath at least 4 times daily. Today he did it when I told him not to wipe his dirty hands on my pants.
  • Oh, and Tatum's a big-time laugher now too...

Now that we've got that all straightened out, I'm off to sanitize the bath tub AND the stroller. again.

4 comments:

We Three Smiths + 1 said...

You make me feel sooooo much better!! Sometimes I think I am the only one who has one that throws fits, has disgusting things fall from his shorts and keeps me from showering until 5:00 PM (and even then I sometimes only do it as a courtesy to Matt). We had an incident at the park last week where a fit was thrown and people just stared at me. I felt like saying, "What??? Are you telling me your KID HAS NEVER THROWN A FIT???". Not likely.

And, we too, have bleached the Bathtub...and I don't have an excuse. There is no little one that I am dressing here yet. I am sitting right there and he just lets loose. I love your positive attitude..and how can you NOT love those sweet little gestures they are both showing you!!! Awesome!

Carley said...

It's been fun running into you at church the last 2 weeks and getting to see your cute kids in person. I've been walking the mall in the mornings/afternoons too. It sure beats the heat! Thanks for sharing the cute stories about your kids. It's amazing that people have the nerve to stare and judge....as if its some sort of freak show to be a mom with 2 babies. I get stares with one crying baby. I'm glad that doesn't keep you from getting out!

Mary said...

How did I miss this post???? I just read it and am so right there with you, (obviously, can remember well,) that it's so hard when your oldest child is not even two and you're taking them places. That's what the looks are about friend. People are going, "are those really siblings? Are they like a year apart?" yes, and yes, and the answer to the question they didn't ask-NO not entirely on purpose! Would we trade it? Never. Would we like a good nanny every now and then? Absolutely!!

Frances Outlaw-Jones said...

I choose not to notice those people. Instead, seek out the eyes of those who are inspired by what you are doing...they are out there, or at least find the faces that say, oh I have been there!