July 30, 2009

Long day = Long post...

In the midst of a crazy afternoon today, I took a few minutes to vent to Nathan via Messenger about the unfortunate events that had transpired during the hour or so leading up to our "chat." Once the conversation was over, I read over what I had written and laughed out loud... I thought it might be worth recording.

First, here is a picture of the first half of our day... nothing too out of the ordinary here...

7:00am Tatum wakes, and plays in her crib.

7:15 am Trevor wakes.

7:30 am Tatum downstairs for breakfast.

7:40 am Trevor downstairs for breakfast.

8:45 am Tatum is tired and cranky.

9:00am Tatum down for nap.

10:15am Tatum wakes (too SOON!)

10:30am Tatum still laying peacefully in bed, mom hopes she'll go back to sleep. Trevor already tired and cranky.

10:45am Tatum up for bottle.

11:00am Trevor down for nap.

12:00pm Tatum tired and cranky (due to lack of morning nap).

12:15 pm Tatum down for nap.

12: 30 pm Mom eats.

12:45 pm Mom goes to shower.

1:00 pm Tatum wakes.

Here's where the "venting" comes in.... the timeline becomes a bit fuzzy, because really, it all seemed to be happening at once.

I showered while the kids were down and of course Tatum woke up. So, I quickly get dressed (make-up on, wet hair pulled back), but took time to iron because I'm sick of wearing crappy clothes.

I peek at Trevor on the monitor, he's awake, but happy in his crib. So I begin to get dressed. As I finish dressing, I hear a super loud THUD and some equally loud screaming...

Trevor fell out of his crib.

Meanwhile, Tatum had FINALLY gone back to sleep as I was getting dressed, but the THUD, with the ground shaking (upstairs), and scream woke her up. It scared her to death, so she was screaming too.

I rush into Trevor's room and find him in the dark, in the middle of his floor, absolutely terrified. I check him out head to toe and hug, hug, hug him, then give warning about "no climbing crib." Trevor responds a tearful "okay, mommy."

Tatum is still screaming in her crib.

I take Trevor downstairs, and rush to get him set-up with happy TV, then return to get Tatum.

Tatum screams until her lunch is ready. Stops screaming to eat, and sits long enough in her chair for me to get Trevor's lunch ready.

I realize Tatum needs a bottle, and all bottles are dirty... Tatum cries while I clean bottles. Finally, bottle is ready, I go to feed Tatum. Tatum screams (raptor style) and absolutely refuses bottle.

I check for hurting teeth, wet or binding clothing, and have no clue what else to do. S0, I put Tatum in her exersaucer screaming. I give her a few minutes, then return to try bottle again. On the third try, Tatum takes her bottle.

About 3/4 of the way through the bottle, I stop to burp Tatum. Clean burp, no spits. As I lean her back to continue feeding, she spits...

ALL over my freshly pressed crappy clothes. I takes off clothes, surrender, and put on one of my husband's faded, stained, wrinkled t-shirts and shorts....again.

I sigh, thinking at this point, if I happen to manage to get out of the house today, I'll be going yet again, as the wrinkled, stained, disheveled mom, wearing her husbands clothes.

To which Nathan responds:
"So it's been a bad day."

I love that man. That was all he needed to say for me to feel 100% better.

5 comments:

Mary said...

Wow that was a doozy.

Yes, that's all he needed to say. That or, "Hey honey, I've decided to quit my job and we'll win the lottery and I'll be home to do the kids all day and we'll volunteer in our spare time and serve God without having to leave you by yourself with two very small children all day."

I told Sean that's what I needed him to say one day and he said, "I'm not sure if I could handle it either!!"

Love him.

Remember: what you're doing IS HARDER than what a lot of people do, even those with two kids, three kids. When they're both little it's constant juggling. You will get the hang of it I promise.

Does it make you feel better that I just fed Charlie her breakfast, went upstairs to get Ty out of his crib (that he hasn't figured out how to escape out of yet-praise God,) and carried Joy upstairs with me so Charlie wouldn't kill her. I put Joy in Ty's chair to get him out of his crib. When I got him I smelled him so put him on the floor in his room to change his diaper. Out of the corner of my eye I saw something moving so I managed to catch Joy RIGHT before she hit the floor. My nearly three-month-old nearly rolled onto the floor because I've got it all figured out, don't I? Ha!

Feel better? That's what it's all about!

Sean keeps saying, "This day will never happen again so once you've survived it at least you know you are past it!"

Misty Rice said...

makes me So thankful my kids are 7 years apart. HA! Sorry, I had to say something to make me feel better too. All my friends have kids in the range as you do and I am around it enough to see how crazy it gets. Heck, it gets that crazy with one, but two just intensifies it.

Just wondering, you think you are done?

And as for the hubby's response.... I think I would not have been happy with it. Knowing me, I would have been in tears myself or close anyways, and had I shared that day with Mark, I would have wanted something more like ....

Ill try to get out of here early, and take the kids with me to the gym and let you have some time to relax. HA!!

Hope today is better. I feel pretty exhausted because I felt baby girl was up all night. I got to irritated I even cursed and I don't normally do that.

I can't imagine being so tired and having two little ones at once all the time. You are a good mommy so hang in there.

Love the new look. Did you do it all yourself.

Anonymous said...

Misty... he does take note of days like this and go above and beyond to make sure I have time to relax. I can't wait to post about my pre-birthday gift he's given me today...

And are we done? Not officially. And my response depends on the kind of day we're having!

And thanks for the compliment on the layout, yes, it's one of mine.

We Three Smiths + 1 said...

Awww...Heather, I have days like that with just one! Can you imagine what life with two will be like for me???!!! Yikes!!! I went to the Doctor last week and she said I'd probably deliver end of August or the first part of September....reality kind of sank in...it is August now, that is only a month away!!! I am still can't get it through my head though. With Ryder, I was totally prepared. This time, I am just laid back and like "whatever"...almost like I can't figure out that I am going to have another baby to take care of in a few short weeks...when does it really hit you??!!! When they are here?? We'll see...I'll probably be in for a real rude awakening, LOL!

Mary said...

Wish I knew Misty and Joy in real life too! Dinner was so fun! Got home and told Sean I wanted to have y'all over soon-all of you! Bring on the party!