October 27, 2008

A Birthday Tribute to Our Boy!

For my Trevor-bear...

October 2007

November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008 August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
I cannot believe a year has passed. I'm sure, EVERY parent says it.... but that doesn't make it any less dumbfounding. This time last year, I was sitting in a hospital room, having been a parent for less than 24 hours. I'd had a c-section, and couldn't get out of bed right away, which meant daddy had been thrown into the deep-end when it came to learning to swaddle you and change your diapers. He did a great job... I love to listen to your sweet, small, voice in this video.


We brought you home and continued to marvel at the miraculous gift we'd been given. Everyone talked about what a big boy you were...and boy were they right! You were never able to wear any of those newborn-sized clothes we bought (oh well!) I had instantly fallen in love with you and knew life was about to bring more fun than any one person is meant to have. Little did I know, what a fantastic, fun, and out-going little man you'd become!

And yes, most people who've come to know you will also tell you that you liked to spit-up a lot. But don't worry, it was no big deal...we bought a lot of super-fun bibs for you to wear! From the beginning, you've been a fantastic sleeper. You loved to be swaddled and when it came time for bed, you would lay very, very still with your arms down at your sides so we could wrap you up.

You have been fascinated by Goliath from the day you noticed him in the room. He can make you laugh better than ANYone! I know now, he sometimes takes toys from you and gets on your nerves. But hang in there, I have a feeling you will become better and better friends as the years go by.

And speaking of laughs, you have one of the best laughs around kiddo. When we go shopping together, you look at everyone you see as if they've come to the store for the sole purpose of seeing you. You flash that big toothy grin and give them your trademark machine-gun laugh that almost ALWAYS gets a little laugh back in return. You have a special way of spreading joy to those around you, just by being you!

When you were around 6 months old, we found out you were going to be a big brother! And what a fantastic big brother you'll be! Even though we haven't officially met her yet, you are working hard on your "brothering" skills. Sometimes, you'll pat mommy's tummy and say "bay bay." Sure, it's a little confusing (you also pat your own tummy and say "bay bay")...but you've still got some time to figure things out. I've worried for a while that you'll miss out on too much having to share mommy and daddy so soon. But really, I should know better. Your world only becomes better when there are people around you to share it with, and I know the same will be true for you and Tatum. Just don't forget to smile at her....and show her that fantastic laugh!

Thank you for being so patient with us, for enduring our silly-ness, and those bumps and bonks we failed to avoid. You have given us sooo much more than you've taken, (which I know can be tough for a baby to do!). From the minute we met, I knew I didn't deserve you. I thank God for sharing you with us, and for forming you in such a unique, and special way. I know He has a fantastic plan for your life Trevor-bear, and I'm SO grateful I get to watch it unfold!

I Love you "Bee Bye" (and no, I still don't know what that means or why I call you that!)

Mommy

3 comments:

Jason, Allison & Charlotte said...

Congratulations, sweet friend, on surviving the best year of your life! You're doing a FANTASTIC job, and you even did it while lugging around another growing peanut!

Mary said...

Happy Birthday big man! (I too have reason to call mine big boy/girl and the way I see it, the bigger they are the longer they can sleep as newborns!) Let's hope Tatum is a big girl from the start :) Congratulations on surviving the first year while also being tired, nauseated, bloated, hormonal, and fearful that he will have to share you soon. He will surely be blessed to have you as his mom and he will surely love her and never remember life without her--trust me!! That part of the fiasco is really, really good and once you start getting sleep (once Tatum does,) it will be ALL GOOD!

Mary said...

oh and p.s. get on a reliable form of birth control once she is born!!!!! Trust me on that part too :)